Touch Drawing Community

Heeeeellllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooo! So what is the focus for the sessions that you offer in the hospital? Are they general sessions or more specific? Is there a fee that you charge? If not, does the hospital cover the materials?

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Nancy! Sorry I didn't get back to you until now! Anyway, let me see where to begin. Since I work in the hospital as an expressive arts therapist, and I run several groups a week, I have just incorporated it into one of my groups. Thus, I don't charge a fee, since our groups are free to our patients. I will be able to get the hospital to buy my materials (mainly the rollers, of which we have some already, and paint, since we are using cafeteria trays as our boards--they work fantastically), but it will be a few months, so I have so far brought in my own paints. However, because of this, I have decided that am only doing a group about once a month until the supplies come in. There are opportunities here, at other hospitals, for artists to come in once a week or once a month with a project, and they are paid about $40/hr for this, but I am not sure if the supplies are paid for or not. I would think that is on a per hospital basis, although I would guess there is a budget for such things in most hospitals.
*In terms of themes, we generally focus on things that are pertinant--i.e. pain, frustration, present feelings, and see if we can put them on the board, and then hopefully move on and transform these images. If not, we stick with what is present for them at the time, and usually everyone feels better, or at least a bit different in a good way, by the end. Another option would be to meditate on how they'd like to feel or on a place they'd like to be or on something that might ease their discomfort. This is a less intense way for people to get into the activity.
*There is certainly more to be said, but I'll leave it at this for now. Hope that helps!
Hello,
I have just sent a question to Deborah regarding TD in the acute care setting;cardiac care/intensive care, etc.
Although I have recently left the hospital setting for private practice, I have been asked to present at a conference that address Palliative Care in Acute Care Settings. I would like to address the therapeutic benefits of TD for both patients and their families amidst the demands of care on those units. Have you ever offered TD in the more critical care units? If so, what was the experience?
Thanks so much.
Margo Anneke LCSW
Hi, Margo!

I hope this response is not too late! I have been in Hawaii for the past 2+ weeks and just got back yesterday. I personally have never offered TD specifically in the way that you are asking about, although I can greatly see the benefits to both the patients and their loved ones. I worked in a post acute setting for many years and we offered TD in groups for both patients and their families, and all found it to be very therapeutic. I would imagine that if offered bedside to certain acute care patients, the affects on relieveing stress and reducing pain would be significant. The same goes for their families, whom could either draw along side their loved ones, bedside while their loved ones are asleep, or in a group room to relieve stress.

Hopefully this assists you, and do feel free to write me again if there is any way that I can be of more help!

Becky
I do one to one sessions in the radiation oncology outpatient area. I use a variety of modalities such as expressive art drawings, journaling, music, guided meditation, Reiki, collage, in whatever combination seems appropriate in the situation

RSS

Events

Badge

Loading…

About

© 2020   Created by Deborah Koff-Chapin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service