Touch Drawing Community

Ask questions and share issues that come up while facilitating.

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm looking for ideas to use touch drawing as part of a hospice presentation I'll be doing at the end of May. The group size will be 30-40 people, mostly nurses. I have 1.5hrs total to share slides about a hospice client, with ALS, who painted by mouth and my own touch drawing experience while she was actively dying and do a TD experiential.
I'm figuring I'll have at the most 45 mins to offer a touch drawing experience.
I have about a dozen boards. I remember reading somewhere ( from Deborah that something else can be used instead of boards). of course, the actual time to do TD will be limited to include a demo and time for sharing. it will only be a small taste. Any thoughts would be most appreciated and what else can be used instead of boards?
Hi Susan
Once we did a workshop for a large # of people with Parkinsons and their caregivers. What we used instead of boards were 8x10 transparencies; the kind typically used with overhead projectors, etc. Bought a pack at Office Depot. We taped them to the table, all the way around, with masking tape. It worked quite well! We also did this way once when we were giving a "mini-presentation" to a group of expressive arts practitioners.
Hope this helps!
Good luck
Kathleen
great idea, kathleen. I need to add this to our facilitator workbook info. Taping them down is a great idea, too. I haven't worked with floppy boards much, but they are so much easier to travel with. Did the paint go on well and were you able to reuse these?
Yes, the paint went on fine, and I think we did wash them off and re-use.
Susan,

Yes, its best to approach this as a 'Taste of Touch Drawing '– and nothing wrong with that as long as you are clear. Sometimes a single drawing can be a powerful experience. For instance, last year at the Expressive Art Therapy Association conference in Boston, we had a display table with several Touch Drawing facilitators helping people try Touch Drawing – Shemaya Blauer and Mukti Khanna, me and maybe another….I learned something from Mukti and Shemaya and how they helped people to focus inwardly before they did their one drawing; really scan their inner sensations, and then created their first Touch Drawing – people were giving themselves to the process in a surprisingly deep manner considering the craziness of the setting – a noisy, crowded educational fair. So in comparison, you have an expansive and and focused situation.

In terms of the materials , I recommend you read the Frequently asked question about Economical Use of Materials on the website at http://www.touchdrawing.com/2TouchDrawing/FAQ.html#groupmaterials There is an even more cohesive section about this in the Facilitator Workbook, too. I recommend you get that if you don’t aleady have it.

In terms of the drawing boards, any smooth surface will work. I write about it in the FAQ above – you might find materials anywhere…and as I see if they you could draw right on formica table tops – though if you are in a hotel I doubt they would allow you to do this, and their tables are usually wood. And clean-up would be a big deal if you used tables tops!

Yes, I have used floppy sheets of thin plastic that are not my favorite but adequate. I used I think this is what I have bought in the past - You should use the rough and not shiny side. You might also experiment - try a large heavy vinyl or plastic drop-cloth kind of material from a hardware or paint store. Maybe even just cover the whole table and let each person roll paint onto the area in front of them – this would probably help with some of the floppiness problem, keeping the surface more stable than if you used separate sheets of plastic for each person. If you try this and it works. Please let us know and I will add it to the materials info! The paint might peel of and be frustration for multiple uses, but this is very likely to work for one-time use. It would be preferable to reuse if possible, because its so un-ecological to go through rolls of plastic and throw away each time. The thing is to use the basic idea of a smooth non-absorbent surface and then experiment – see if it works for TD – and let us know here!

In the FAQ I also make suggestions on how to share rollers, and ideas on for how to do TD if everyone isn’t drawing at once – but if you can possibly find a way for everyone to draw at the same time, they can have a deeper experience in this setting. This FAQ has ideas on sharing paint for economically http://www.touchdrawing.com/2TouchDrawing/FAQ.html#economizepaint I go to the extreme of paint/color abundance but it is not necessary. Actually, sometimes I think it might be better if I did NOT offer so many color choices at each table because that can be distracting from the actual TD process.

I hope this is helpful. It would be great if you could go to the new general forum and post your question again in the Facilitating Touch Drawing area. When you do, I will cut and paste this answer and put it there so more can read it.
Thanks for all the info, Deborah. I will take a look at the FAQ and of course the facilitator's book.

Using transparencies sounds like a wonderful idea. Thank you, Kathleen for sharing your experience.
I would like everyone to be doing TD at the same time.
That would be best! How many rollers do you have? If you keep your color simple it is easier for more people to share rollers.

Hi everyone,

I am facilitating a TDing session (my first) later this month for around 20 people. I am not able to store the boards (formica) at the venue and will have to take them home with mestraight afterwards. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stack them so they don't stick together or damage the paint rolled surface?

I could put them face to face to transport them  back and roll them flat when i get home, but I still need to store them. Any ideas or feedback on what others do after their sessions with their boards would be gratefuly recieved.

Blessings,

Gabriel

RSS

Events

Badge

Loading…

About

© 2018   Created by Deborah Koff-Chapin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service